Monday, May 30, 2011

A Different Kind of Brussels Experience

Well I’ve been to Brussels, interned in Europe, hold a full time job while going to grad school in the US, and travel transatlantic for work often, so while I had a number of new experiences and adjustments to make, they seem not to be the same as others in the group. I took some meds before we boarded the flight from DC to Brussels and ate a large early dinner, so I was fast asleep before take-off and slept a solid 7 hours (yay for no jet lag!). I also got to work very early that morning, so I was already ready for bed. The guy next to me said, “You missed all the food!” when I woke up and then nicely handed me a diet coke and bag of pretzels. He said I must have done this before since I had all my sleeping gear within an arms’ reach (warm socks, a stuffed animal, eye mask, glasses case, and ear plugs). He also asked if I was traveling with anyone else, and I replied “Yes, the loud Americans you can hear a few seats back.” Oh, America, how I’ll miss you but welcome the break. 

My short previous experience did help me navigate the city during my 7 internship interviews over 3 days. The city is actually quite small and some of the roads and landmarks came back to me. Many of us ran into each other on our way to and from the interviews so that was nice. Interviewing for internships was something I’m not used to. I am, however, used to interviewing prospective interns at my job in the US so I think that experience helped. I can also understand how monotonous it is to explain your organization 100 times in a day, so I tried to ask unique questions so the interviewers got the chance to talk about something else. I got one of my first choice internships at the Africa Europe Faith and Justice Network. It is so nice to do research work all day since I usually have to give that interesting work to my interns! I do find it hard to focus on one thing, or even multiple projects but all research based, all day. The office is also small and quiet which is very different from the American offices I’ve worked in. I find it calming.

Probably the biggest transitions for me are (1) the language, (2) living with a family again and (3) not having my job in the US. I speak some French so I am improving a lot, but it can sometimes be exhausting to hear it all day because you are constantly having to think (as it doesn’t come naturally to me yet). My host sister feels the same way about English. She is studying English and is great at it, but at night sometimes she’s like I can’t think and messes up things she knows and just speaks to me in French. My host family is incredibly nice and accommodating. They all try to speak to me in English which I so appreciate and do not expect. My host mom does my laundry, makes amazing meals and they invite me to do everything with them. They have the cutest dog that follows me around and a pool in their backyard. I completely feel like one of their children. I am enjoying someone cooking and doing my laundry, but it is a change from being completely independent since I was at least 18 (paying own rent, cooking own dinner, etc). I’ve definitely had to relinquish some control and alone time in exchange for being taken care of so well!

My schedule is also very different here. While I don’t stick to a specific schedule in the US, I generally work every day during the week and can’t leave until it’s done (plus blackberry work). As an intern, I don’t really have that responsibility. And I use all my extra time to study. Because I’ve done some tourist things in Brussels and have a friend visiting the last week that I need to save some things for, I feel less pressure to make every free moment count. This is a welcome change from my life in the US. While in Europe, I am traveling every single weekend. I’m a flexible traveler and should be able to keep up with everything. So nothing is too different or jarring for me, but I could complete my day in the US with my eyes closed (probably literally), so the cascade of little but still significant new things every day is a welcome challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment