Sunday, May 29, 2011

Two Weeks into the EUropean Experience


This morning I realized I have been at my home-stay for two weeks. Two weeks, in reality it is such a short time, but looking through the stack of brochures, memory cards of pictures, and ticket stubs, I have done so much! With my apologies for leaving out details, I am going to try and give you a sense of the whirlwind these weeks have been.

I left the United States on May 13, 2011 at 8h40 EDT and arrived in Brussels, Belgium at 12h50 local time. After a short 50€ cab ride to our hotel meeting place, I discovered a new energy and decided to explore a small section of Brussels for some basic necessities like an ATM, grocery store, and of course a Starbucks. While finding the first two were fairly simple with the help of some random Belgians (thank God for my French), I was completely dismayed upon learning that there is no Starbucks in Brussels (just one in the air-side terminal at BRU). Thus, a small European café had to do in helping me stay up for the 32 hour marathon that is transatlantic travel. Yet, with my café and adrenaline, I was ready for my orientation with Dr. Sheridan and the rest of my colleagues.

The the rest of the first weekend was stressful. I arrived to a foreign country without any knowledge of where I was working, where I was living, and what my daily routine would be. In essence, my flight over the Atlantic was a figurative and literally "leap" of faith! However, by the end of the first Monday, I met my wonderful host family and had a list of interesting internship interviews scheduled for Week 1.

For anyone who has gone through an interview process, having 6 interviews cramped into a three day period is daunting. Put this together with jet lag, the difficulties of learning a new city, and the inevitable language barrier (even if you've had 10 years of French) and this first week is crazy! To future Brussels participants, I strongly urge you to buy a STIB monthly metro pass at your earliest possible convenience; while it takes you almost an hour (if not more) to get, having the card gives you unlimited access to the Brussels metro system for 45,50€. (Note: bring passport size photos with you from the states or else you will be forced to shell out another 5€ for bad pictures that you won't use again!) Even though this week was stressful, it was a great way to learn about the city and discover places you and your new friends will frequent over the course of the next 6 weeks!

The first full weekend took the group to Flanders, the north of Belgium and the cities of Anthwerp, Ghent, and Bruge. What an amazing place! Belgium is a truly fascinating country with a rich history, but it is also a country with a sad reality. While one in name, the country is actually split almost down the middle due to the language barrier. The north speaks(from their Dutch connection) and the south speaks French. Traveling north really gave Flemish meaning to this reality; what a different place. Bonjour, moniseur and merci was ineffective here! Experiencing what you are learning is the best way to appreciate the reality of the lesson. Plus, we had an excellent tour guide, Dr. Sheridan!



After an exhausting but enjoyable weekend, we traveled back to our new homes in Brussels to get ready for Week One of work. I am interning at the Atlantic Treaty Association, a NGO in the NATO structure that facilitates dialogue among member countries on key issues. It seems to be a promising internship that will really add to my academic experience and help facilitate my entrance to the professional world of international affairs.

After my brief time here, I have to say that Belgium is a beautiful country. It certainly helps that the weather has been fairly good. A word of advice, check the weather daily: the mornings are cold and often cloudy, but by the afternoon it is extremely comfortable and often sunny.

I would love to write more, but we are slightly overwhelmed with the work from our internships, the work for class, and the associated traveling that comes with spending time in Europe....

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment